3 lbs freshly picked asparagus, trimmed
1 bunch green onions
3 cups fresh small cucumbers, scrubbed clean
1 Tbsp fresh parsley
1 Tbsp fresh chives
1 Tbsp fresh mint
2 tsp fresh tarragon
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp sea salt (or pink)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup light olive oil
- Fill a large pot with water and salt and bring to a rapid boil.
- Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath in a large bowl with ice and water and set in sink.
- When water boils, quickly cook asparagus until just crisp-tender, only about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove and quickly put in ice bath to cool and stop cooking.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Chop green onions and put in large bowl.
- Scrub cucumbers, trim ends, cut lengthwise, then slice thin and add to bowl with onions.
- Add all the fresh herbs to the bowl and mix together well; keep cool.
Make dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, mustard, salt, and black pepper, then slowly start streaming in oil, whisking steadily, until dressing is creamy.
- Pour dressing into onion cucumber bowl and toss to combine.
- Arrange the asparagus on salad plates and spoon the dressed onion cucumber mixture over the top.
- Taste and salt if desired.